All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Thor, etc.

[My attempt to create a bionic Thor]


The Normaphoto over this post is of the best I could do to recreate the Norse god, Thor, from odds and ends found in the pumphouse.  He is associated with storms, war and fertility --but mostly storms. He'd hit clouds with his hammer (named Mjollnir) to bang noisy wet things out of them. 

Thor disappeared after a big fight with a huge crazy serpent named Jormungandr, which was crazy from trying to pronounce its own name.  In fact, Norse language at that time was so fraught with unlikely vowel and consonant placement that people mostly just hummed at each other. 

Neither Thor nor Jormungandr remained after their fight, which  took place in Ragnarok and resulted in the end of the world. Since we are in our second decade of drought here in California I decided we need Thor back, so I built one in the pumphouse.

This Thor can't wield a big steel hammer. He gets a lightweight mallet so his arms don't fall off. It has no effect on clouds. 

                                                                                                                                                                          

8 comments:

  1. Are you hoping for the end of the world or predicting it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. End-of-world has been predicted a number of times but requires an ostentation of credulity beyond me.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen Thor as a whimsical and charming entity before. Definitely a change for the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I first thought to make Thor fiercely imposing but later considered his age (and mine) and settled for geriatric sarcopenia.

      Delete
  3. Perhaps Thor (delightful looking feller-me-lad you've created there --- 10/10) is still chilling out somewhere, recovery from one of his drinking/refreshment bouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thor's drinking habits were modified by his personal trainer. Some believe he left earth in response.

      Delete
  4. Dear Geo., I love the wild sagas of Thor and all the other Nordic Gods and Goddesses - I love all those old tales as Beowulf (I had to read it in Old English), Die Nibelungen (I had to read them in Middle High German) etc - all vigorous and complicated and colourful and full of power as Thor himself.
    I hope that you constructed your formidable sculpture on a Thur-sday, or Donner-stag?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Britta, I can't recall whether or not I finished the sculpture on a Thor's-day, but am very impressed by your comment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.