All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Photo--ago-go

Let's begin this closing episode of the "Ago" post series with a photo--ago-go:

This beloved bug took us off to find America in 1968. My friend, Will, and I camped all over California, on into Nevada etc., then returned west. Him, to be a kind role-model to other fatherless  kids. Me, to keep learning, by his example, and discover good ideas, no matter how old or new, politically and morally created in discourse of reason, stabilized lives.

Some years later, on Interstate 5, I was driving to work and was honkingly instructed to check my rear-view mirror by a fellow motorist. It appeared the sun was rising in the south that morning. Pulled over to let it pass, stopped, stepped out to watch Beloved Bug join eternity in a pillar of flame and drifting carbon. What does one do?   

 One gets another VW. This one emits carbon in the form of little yellow wildflowers.

We still have Van but I don't drive it in hot weather. I drive Mazdas from this century because of their excellent air conditioning --which strangely I like more and more here in my 7th decade. But Van has its charms. Here is a Normaphoto of Will (at right) and us headed for Russ Solomon's Tower Records and Cafe:

A somewhat less kinetic photo of Van is here, parked on our lane:
In this photo, I get to be the fellow at right because Will recently left the position open (at age 84) January 21, to begin adventure as drifting carbon, the atomic basis of earthly life. Irreducible, like Will in composition, caring, language, learning -- Irreducible. I miss him very much.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. You may recall this turbulence began in the comments section 5 or 6 posts back at "Antiquity of Fleas". Old friend Al Lehmberg asked for info that got to roiling and we worked it out from there.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for your loss of your friend, Will. And yes, there was something wonderful about old VW vans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Indeed, there were wonders in that century and VWs were instrumental in finding them.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely remembrance. Sorry for the loss of such a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We both have so many enjoyable memories of Will. Once my mom hooked him up with a blind date at our home. Another time he came to our house with Afif the exchange student and we had fun taking photos. They have both left us behind for the next journey. May your memories be a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I remember those fun photos of Will and Afif, deep in another century. World made more sense with such alchemy. Decidedly, fun was part of the formula.

      Delete
  6. Sorry for your loss my friend.

    I love the idea of VW bugs and wagons. They are so fun and evoke an era of adventure we just don't have anymore. Course, Youngest has a VW (Jetta) and as nice as it is to drive, the repair bills are astronomical. I'll stick with my Suabru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Juli, heartfelt thanks for your concern. I still use my ancient copy of "How to keep your Volkswagen alive: A Manual of Step by Step procedures for the Compleat Idiot" by John Muir,Tosh Gregg,Peter Aschwanden (and I believe some help from Chan Laughlin). These guys kept me focused and informed all the way from Taos. I did my own maintenance, repairs and rebuilds from their fine book for 55 years. Angels expect a lot from us.

      Delete
  7. Those little bugs - so nostalgic. My brother and his buddy went for a joyride in their mom's VW. They ended up tipping the car over on its side. What did they do? Jumped out, and set it right back up.

    My condolences. I'm glad you and Will had each other to make the journeys of memories that you did.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Robyn, Indeed, however my 67 Bug had a 54 hp engine: Heavier than older 36 horsepower bugs (which tipped over even if you shut the door too hard. Even then, the manual advised shutting both doors simultaneously.

      Love appreciated and reciprocated.

      Delete
  8. I have been a fan of VW buses since 1966. In the inventory, is 1960 single cab pickup, a 1961 double cab pickup, 1966 11 window transporter, a 1963 VW bug and 1969 Meyers Manx. The only one with a stock engine is the bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear AZDave,1st owned a 61Bug, learned repair working with my brother, Frankie---machinist by trade and expert mechanic. Would not recommend working with a lesser consultant. Had to learn how my experience with air-cooled engines (like on my old motorcycle) could propel a car. Got us through many moves and furthered my delight with doghouse motors, but finally I had to seek the summer serenity of Mazda air conditioning.

      Delete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.