All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Sunday, January 17, 2021

This Just In from 12 Years back: Tractor and Trainride

I recall appealing to my friend Will's List on things encountered in 2009, my last year on the job. Retirement and stuff on all sides sent the List into cosmic expansion, holus-bolus, but we emerged ok. However, sometimes I have to consult notes from that decade, and much of the preceding century, when I could courageously inhale outside my house.
 Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:57 PM Subject: Question from Geo.: Mystery Bird! 

Will,This ornithological rendering was done on a bit of litter on the  hood of my tractor a few hours ago. Bird --about 11'' long  and 8" high --was on the crown of the athletic field among Canada geese, honking because they love Cheezits. It was brown, mainly, with light  hinder spots . Couldn't tell if it had webbed feet  but seems  otherwise built for marshes. Has one of the longest beaks I ever  saw, combination Dixiestraw and chopsticks.  Anybody know what it is? As usual, theories welcome! --Geo.  
 
Will,  Sorry for the delay. I think my friend Linda cracked the case.-- Pat 
From:  Linda
Subject: Re: Question from Geo.: Mystery Bird!
My first guess would be a Long-billed Curlew.
Linda was right. Go see Numenius Americanus!
                  *******************


I must include a photo from the same era of Canada Geese visiting on their own migration south. I'd walk out from my field-house rattling a box of crackers and call, "Honk if you love Cheez-it®s!" (which somehow reminds me of an old bumper sticker)...

And they would honk like anything and come running. As they closed in, their honks softened to gentle soprano "hoo-hoos" as they plucked the little crackers from my hand. Birds burn a lot of calories on their migrations and everything helps.

This concludes my scholarly  sermon. Your regular pastor will return next week, after the White House in D.C. is distinguishable from damnation.
 

20 comments:

  1. Mystery bird (Curlew) certainly has a long beak. I assume that they can dig for food without bending down too much. I envy them as getting food from the bottom shelf has become a problem in these later years. Getting down is not so bad, getting up can be an embarrassing effort.

    I do love the sound of the Canadian geese overhead. They don’t fly south here; they tend to stick around all year. They spend their days in the farmer’s fields and ponds and take flight at dusk . It is always a beautiful sight.

    This week might be rough, but I believe better days and better people will be ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, I know exactly what you mean re. postural distress, but wouldn't consider evolving a six-foot long beak in response to geriatric sarcopenia. I could lift things with it but be unable to enunciate some of my favorite words. Chickens only have little beaks but are denied fricatives. "Buck buck buck" is the best they can do. You're right about the rough week, but yes, we're embarking on a future where politicians will be more articulate than chickens.

      Delete
  2. Distinguishable from damnation--that line made me laugh! (but also cry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Margaret, thank you. The line was heartfelt and I had the same response as you did. I have visited our nation's capitol twice and each time felt a secure sense of something special, nearly sacred. Prominent in this feeling was my reading of James and Dolley Madison fleeing bombardment from warships on the Potomac. They grabbed what they considered essential to survival: a pistol apiece and the U.S.Constitution, then ran out and dodged canon fire. They knew the world needed to grow up, to be courteous, kind, and still does.

      Delete
  3. I like geese. They're beautiful and seem sweet.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Janie, geese are gentle beings. They express a very benevolent side of the Universe. They can also be hysterical, silly or both. Love appreciated and reciprocated, --Geo.

      Delete
  4. The shape of that bird's bill initially made me think of the Ibis, but it seemed smaller than one of those and I figured you weren't in Egypt recent to your sighting. Linda seems to have a good bird brain, no insult intended. Feeding Canada Geese from your hand left me all agoggle. And I truly loved the line about the White House being saved from damnation. Tomorrow begins a new era, thankfully. In Joe we trust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce, I had the same take on first encounter, which is why I sketched the little guy with dimensions attending. This bird was basically brown --no white feathers like the Ibis. Figured, if they were different species, they must be products of parallel evolution. I hear there are Ibises in Florida that have always been called Curlews but places named after them are loathe to correct. Frankly, I think Curlews resemble Whimbrels more than Ibises. Sounds like I'm talking about sewing machines,don't it? Cheezits, is anybody working on this?

      Delete
  5. What a kindly faced Curlew, I am hoping it knew/knows good things for the future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear kindly Lisa, like every thoughtful lifeform, curlew knows future depends on honoring the planet.

      Delete
  6. *Happy Inauguration Day, America!* ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Cat. It's a new day, a good day.

      Delete
  7. Is the drawing an ibis?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_sacred_ibis

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Victor, I visited "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_sacred_ibis" and read its excellent entry on the Ibis, but considering the difference in bulk and coloring, despite beak similarities, must still lean toward Linda's verdict of "long-billed curlew".
      Blessing welcome and appreciated.

      Delete
  8. A curlew, huh? Don't think I've ever seen one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor had I, dear Squid, despite living near the confluence of 2 big rivers and abundant wetlands.

      Delete
  9. I'd rather contemplate curlews than chaos at the Capitol. I cried with relief when Biden and Harris were sworn in. I see an artist and an engineer in your sketch. You have so many talents, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind, thank you. I too welcomed the reestablishment of sanity at the helm.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for your visit a few minutes ago. Much appreciated.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.