All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Friday, September 6, 2019

Treefrog Art

Our old back door is kept in service by improvised hinges; its integrity maintained by scraps of sheet metal --old aluminum signs we bought at the salvage yard long ago when we hadn't much money. We remember the fun we had with it and intend to keep it sturdy in wind and rain, torturous temperatures forever. Its sill is set in grooved siding lumpy with many paintings. Here's a detail:

I direct your attention to the greenish speck in the groove just right of the aluminum elephant at the top of the rose wand. 
"Hello, little friend!"

"Hello Geo."
"Ah, so you know me then?"
"Yes, from my great-great-grampa,  Darwin Doorbooger."
"And you are?"
"Darwin Doorbooger 3. "
"The third?"
"Not exactly, Geo., we are exponential. I am Darwin Cubed."
"Oh My! To what effect?"
"Well, for one I am learning to scare off predators by contorting 
   parts and spots into old California symbols of sternness.    
   Observe my Mighty Conquistador face!"
."You are an artist!"

"Indeed, all my grampas consider it my extrapolative ability! I am    working on the pointy helmet part but it always squeezes turds out me. Can you take measurements and offer advice?"

"Sure, Cube...
"...I worked for 7 years as a fine arts framer and restorer before going outdoors, and  attended many gallery shows. I was frequently consulted on all aspects of presentation but declined comment on performance art. I believe your chosen genre is in that category.  None of the performing artists I saw or even heard of could poop upside down on the wall --I doubt it was for want of trying, Cube. It wasn't taught in junior college and they couldn't do it, and I'm not certain their excreta would differ much from your digested housefly. In the parlance of the time, they just couldn't get in the right groove."

14 comments:

  1. I have seen some crappy art, but my mind has not been trained to appreciate the creativity of some forms of modern media. However, Darwin Cubed’s work is coming along quite nicely, and who knows if it is not a masterpiece in the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, I try to encourage him as best I can but his attention strays. I have known many artists and he is among those who snap at flying bugs.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if Darwin Cube's relatives are the frogs I read about. They had climbed into some man's chimes to ride out the winds of Hurricane Dorian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Emma, I haven't heard of these resourceful artists but, if they ever climbed into my chimes to flee a hurricane, I would understand. Wouldn't like it but I'd understand.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my. I had no idea of the size of these creatures. I suspect a tree frog turd was be nearly invisible to we humans. Norma has an amazing eye to be able to spot Cube in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bruce, they are almost unbelievably tiny, also fearless and friendly. Sometimes they hop right into our hands. Norma takes great photos of them --sometimes she follows their croaking call to a spot on the wall.

      Delete
  4. :) Much love from Alberta cat and Theo Thunderbutt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good eye, seeing the conquistador in those froggy markings!

    Notwithstanding Arleen's funny comment about "crappy art", Darwin 3 is to be commended for making use of whatever is available to him to make art :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 0_Jenny, I have learned much of froggy art exploits pareidolia and apophenia --both of which encourage associative thought in the viewer. It's one of the funnest parts of the language of Nature.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Indeed, Squid, one of Nature's most pleasant and useful articulations.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. In the stunning presence of great art, this is not uncommon. When my parents took me to an exhibit of Renaissance paintings in 1955, I fainted.

      Delete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.