All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Poop! A Rural Enigma Revisited


Because we have lately had some rather  urgent enigmas to solve, I have been much away from this blog and wish our current conundrums could calm to the intensity of this post from June 27, 2014. Sometimes I revisit past entries to get a sense of mysteries resolved. This is one of those times.

****************************************************************
{All events in this story are true, only the names are unchanged to protect the guilty. Norma really does email me chores.}

Behind the peaceful facade of the bucolic countryside is a hotbed of intrigue. Consider this email I received from a rural address:


Norma to me---
POOP!
This is not supposed to be on my patio!  A new fence is     
                   needed.

Things had been slow lately and I was admittedly smitten with Norma's profile pic. --eyes that could melt a heart or electrocute  at considerable distance. I immediately made a long arm and hauled my Rural Private Eye Correspondence Course Textbook, by Famous Shamus Gumshoe, down from its shelf, opened its cover and reread what Oscar Wilde Famous Shamusly wrote, "The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible."

Visible and smellable. Should be an easy case. I responded by calling to the other room, " Ok, but remember, I get $25 a day plus expenses!" No answer. I took that as a yes.

I am familiar with crap and the size of bricks. This brick is a standard 3 1/2 inches, which narrowed suspects to Hoodle The Hawk, any coyote --of which we have a sufficiency in this region-- or some undetermined dastardly defecator. I gave my preliminary report: "Examination of evidence suggests presence of a wild animal of unknown genetic persuasion. Please keep me informed of unusual feral activities."

Soon another email arrived:


Norma to me--
There's something nasty in the woodshed!

When one finds a opossum nesting in a bag of Styrofoam pellets, it is prudent not to disturb the poor creature in daylight. I advised my client accordingly and suggested we discard the bag after the opossum moved to other lodgings. She asked how I could be certain the creature would move away.
"Madam, my methods are my own."
"I'm paying 25 dollars a day for that?"
"And expenses."
Her eyes amped up to electrocutive magnitude. 
"However, in the matter of my fee, it is a fixed sum which never varies lest I remit it altogether."
"In return for what?"
"Your withdrawal of the proposition and insistence that I build a new fence.

"D'accord."

Everyone, Famous Shamus Gumshoe graduate consulting detective or not, has a non-aggression pact with wild animals, against whose intrusions fences, old or new, are useless. This saves labor on both sides. It is also helpful,  to a detective, if one's client does all the detecting.
**************************************************************
However, along with new enigmas we must now deal with neighbor's chickens in our yard. They call me "Buck". That is not my name!
 

27 comments:

  1. You do work cheap, Geo. We have the occasional visit from possums and have found that they will stand their ground, stare you down and dare you to make them leave. I will always withdraw as that creature has sharp looking teeth.

    I hope that whatever you and Norma are going through, straightens out for the good. My good thoughts are coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delightful Arleen, I do work cheap. I got that quote from Bogart in "The Big Sleep"(1939). His character, private eye Sam Spade, charged $25 a day, plus expenses. It was big money then, good money 30 years later too. Funny old world. I wasn't worth any more than that 'til the mid-70s but strangely, Norma stuck with me and that's what's important.

      Delete
  2. buck buck buck BUCK hey...maybe you'll get fee eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Delores, so far these birds have just scrambled Norma's garden but have not roosted. I say "BUCK" right back to them and they leave in an orderly fashion back to their home across the west field. Having no sense of equity or repayment for their trespass, they leave no eggs.

      Delete
  3. Hi Geo;

    The idea of communicating by email when the sender and recipient are in the same house strikes me as being intensely amusing. My imagination could run riot here. A quite delightful post, poo and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tom, I agree, the email communication is fun --used mostly for Normaphotos I've requested or needed, but it does revive the fun I had watching "The Shop Around the Corner" (a 1940 romantic comedy starring Margaret Sullavan and James Stewart --also the more recent "Sleepless in Seattle").

      Delete
  4. I can hear the chickens now... "Buck, Buck, Buck, Buck. Hey, Buck, got any extra seed?" Maybe Geo. is hard for them to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emma, "G" is just one of many letters that they can't pronounce with beaks. I forgive them their protest at being expelled from our garden.

      Delete
  5. Highly entertaining, Buck . . . er, Geo. (and Norma)!

    I hope life calms soon for you. Excitement is overrated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited my doctor's office today and were given instructions on how to handle the strange demands of our insurance. Hopefully it will all work out in 3 weeks --GAHH!

      Delete
    2. The word "hopefully" does not instill the confidence I'm sure it was meant to . . . Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Public Notice! Has anybody else had their blogger photo tag erased from comments? Lookit mine above! There a little torn-page image where I'm usually looking out a train window. What's going on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S.
      My Blogger photo tags haven't disappeared (not yet, anyway) but a few nights ago all my blog photos vanished for a few hours. They are finally back.
      Blog enigmas abound.

      Delete
    2. Nothing is amiss in my neck of the woods, Geo. Had you been doing anything - anything at all - in Blogger recently? It is unsettling that we have little control over our blogging program!

      Delete
    3. Geo., I was just on John Gray's blog (Going Gently) where there are usually lots of comments, and noticed several bloggers with the same "torn-page" image instead of a photo tag. So you aren't the only one.

      Delete
    4. Dear Jenny, thanks for the useful report! I tried going the "user settings" section in the left margin of the blog start-page and was able to get a profile pic in there, but it seems the repair is not retroactive.

      Delete
  7. Hope you're ok, Geo. Trying times for some of us, eh? Just got back from dr office and the vampires and the holter monitor folks. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mike, I'm ok so far, but my Humana medigap wants to charge me 7 grand for a rescue inhaler. I think that's a bit steep. My dr thought so too. I believe pharma and insurance co.s live in different world. It'll get fixed. You take care too.

      Delete
    2. 7K??? For one mdi?? That's about 10x the high price for one! Gotta be a mistake on their part....

      Delete
  8. Sherlock would be stunned into silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holmes's physician was his room mate, Bruce. I think he had the medical situation covered.

      Delete
  9. I remember this amusing post, Geo, and it's a delight to read it again.

    I can fully sympathize with your current urgent enigmas and conundrums - because I presently have plenty of my own. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good memory, Jon. Past 5 years have had a lot in them. Best wishes solving current conundrums. And yes, I'll hang in here; it's too cold to hang out there.

      Delete
  10. Perhaps due to my "sophisticated" sense of humor, I found this post very funny. I once found mouse turds in the house, and my husband dared to insinuate I didn't know what I was talking about. Our exchange was as funny as yours. (You think I don't know s**t? I KNOW s**t!!!) We sometimes email each other from opposite sides of the house, too. It's fun to make each other laugh.

    I hope the stupid insurance company gets their s**t together. Medical bills are so stressful, it's a wonder they don't make us sick all over again.

    Take care, dude. You and Norma have a wonderful weekend. (No s**t!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan! This has cost me a week of mystification equaled only by the indignity of old age. When I got nothing but crazytalk from Humana Medigap, I visited my doctor and pharmacy. They set me straight --not their first rodeo. I'll get my medication at a reasonable price. Meanwhile, I rejoice at getting my profile pic back --even if it isn't retroactive. Can't do that without knowing some s**t or other.

      Delete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.