All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Möbius And Finding One's Self Oneself



Yesterday evening, Norma's blackboard invited me to reflect and decide if, after a day of cardiology tests, I was having fun yet. A simple question if you ignore the virgule --right-leaning slash mark-- which is actually a chive. In all languages, including French, one can distinguish between virgules and chives because only the latter casts a shadow. This is elementary grammar to my generation but is no longer taught and bears repeating. By such details one finds one's self.

The phrase "one’s self" is used in spiritual, philosophical and psychological description. Otherwise, "one’s self" can be replaced with the pronoun "oneself" except in possessive reference to a small mythical being --in which case, it's probably better not to mention "one's elf", even loudly on a cell phone in public. Why? Because it doesn't really compete with public cell-phone broadcasts like, "Where you at? No, where YOU at? I'm at the checkout line, buying that stuff FOR MY CONTAGIOUS INVERTED NIPPLE!"

Where this leaves one's self is debatable.

People who shout publicly on cell-phones are the biological equivalent of a geometrical enigma, the Möbius strip.


The Möbius strip is a surface with only one side. It was discovered independently by German mathematicians August Ferdinand Möbius and Johann Benedict Listing in 1858. This was a great coincidence, diverging only in subsequent disagreement between the two mathematicians over which side had been isolated. Möbius claimed the outside and Listing argued for the inside. They finally agreed it was neither but the model was named after the mathematician with the best left hook.

Cell-phone shouters seem only to have an outside, but their effectiveness in driving the rest of us inside suggests both geometrical planes coexist.

Two-sided people can use cell-phones too. Norma uses hers to converse very quietly with our children, who have grown up and scattered over the world, in the same gentle voice she used to hush them to sleep with when they were little. She does this in the evening while painting things blue.



While Norma was murmuring soporific phrases in the 1980s and '90s, lots of friends were questing off to India to find themselves. They would come back after a year or two, full of strange enthusiasms --meditation, abolition of self, gravity bathing (ok, I just made up gravity bathing)-- back to find their little ones had found other parents and their spouses reassigned. They had found themselves in search of themselves, but on the bright side they found a lot of Indians.

My personal search for myself is as it has always been. The sun sets. I set out to find it. On the way, I notice the elf is not an elf but a purple-capped gnome at the foot of Norma's slate. And what...whatever I was looking for: probably forgot and left it in the van.

17 comments:

  1. Your delightful blog posts always force my reluctant mind to work and it's extremely annoying.

    I always thought virgules and chives were merely a useless supplement with my dinner - added solely for decorative purposes.

    I have occasionally been visited by purple-capped gnomes after ingesting too much cheap wine.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's talk more about this, old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon-- Glad to be of annoyance! Thanks!

    Willie-- We no doubt will. I fully intend to present myself, fit and festive, in Sonoma next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you started my mind thinking at a very early hour and that is a rarity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found myself once and ran screaming in the other direction. I think I saw a flash of purple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, since I found myself I decided to never let her out again. It's easier that way you see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Starting Over...--Rarity? You're too modest. I bet you've got one of those really good brains with no warm-up time. I envy you!

    Delores --Very sensible response. One's self demands so much more of oneself than oneself. That flash of purple was me running in the opposite direction.

    Rubye Jack --We all have our methods. Yours is good! If you ever see a self (or elf) glowing purple along the road, it's mine. Show it a map and it will hitch-hike home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOLOLOLOL! *wipes tear from right eye*

    Me, my elf self, and I... walked into a pub... not sure where I'm going with that, actually.

    I remember hearing that a boxer named Chris Eubank, back in England when I was a lass, was walking around some city talking loudly on his cell phone, and the phone wasn't even switched on. I'm not sure what type of loop that is. A loopy loop? It was short, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks CarrieBoo. Yes, repeated head trauma shortens the loop but sometimes a loquacious elf gets in one's ear...onesear, one sear?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found myself in the phone book. I called but it was always busy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to do that but since caller I.D. it's less thrilling. I don't pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder life is so confusing. Half the people are trying to lose themselves in books, booze, drugs, music, etc... and the other half can't find themselves. Me, I've got no problem. Every time I turn around ... there I am!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan-- "Every time I turn around ... there I am." Good thing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed these recent posts George - I hope the test proved negative for all bad things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The punctuation of chives fascinates this linguistic gardener. I couldn't have been paying attention at college - did that come in Taxonomy classes or Enigmas and Mondegreens?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lady M.-- Taxonomically, modern virgules and chives are related domesticated creatures. Enigmas and Mondegreens retain their pre-Linnaean grouping with free-flying dreams and angels.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.