All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Ladybug Tuesday

Because of Norma's photo today on our afternoon amble,
I thought it apposite to visit  April 17th, 2012 . On that day, the subject wandered to the disciplines of higher education and my experiences with them. I ought to give it more generous and current thought but it goes deep into 1970 and my memory is not what it used to be --whatever that was. It concerns my time at Chico State College. You can see a picture of that august institution below. I can't recall who doodled over the sign.
 
Word List #14: How Spring Break 1970 Never Ended



Knowledge:

There are many definitions of knowledge. We may begin with Aristotle, who divided knowledge into three parts: theoretical, what wants knowing; practical or praxis, which ought be known; poetikos, what we think we know before it gets shoved way back in the fridge and turns into something else. One may augment this catalogue by consulting other philosophers, Descartes, Hume, Kant, Locke, Mill, all of whom explored particulars --method, substance, sensation, synthesis, transcendentalism, intuition, induction and deduction-- but I never went beyond Mill for a simple reason. When I was in grade school, people knew only half what is known now so encyclopedias just went up to M. Our school did get an advance Britannica that went clear to end of the alphabet. We were excited and suspicious. Some of us snuck into the library and peeked. Volumes N through Z were just blank pages.

Coccinellidae:

When it came time to go to college, we students were asked to write our choices on a special form with a special IBM pencil and turn it in to the office. I wrote "Chico State" on mine and it was fed into the school computer, a recently upgraded Babbage Engine designed for weaving 19th century textiles but could sometimes calculate polynomials during lightning storms. It enrolled me into "Coccinellidae" which I, being young and adaptive, figured was close enough.

When I got to college it was immediately obvious some mistake had been made. The desks were tiny. I didn't fit. And all the courses were on the same subject, aphid-eating. When I asked what majors were offered, the registrar answered, "Aphid-eating, of course! For lady-bugs there are no other professions." I was referred to a counselor who didn't ever seem to be in.

I am still haunted by the idea that I may have stepped on him during my first frantic visit.



5 comments:

  1. I was a ladybug for Halloween a few (oh wait, make that nearly 10-ish) years ago. I would have fit right in! Your poor little counselor.
  2. Thanks CarrieBoo. I think a lot of surrealism is experience streamlined into something more manageable.
    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now, if you're thinking about writing a novel in which the main character wakes up, only to find he has changed into a ladybug, alas, I must tell you, that theme's already been used ...
  4. At the end of the Ms there is mysticism. After that, what's to know?
  5. Thank you Susan and DB. Yes, I really did withdraw from Chico State in my Junior year, but there was no Kafka Hall. Mysticism does indeed complete the Ms but "Metamorphosis" appears slightly ahead of it and, as we know, never really ends.
    *************************************************
    Current comments (please!?) begin below....

22 comments:

  1. I have Susan's book too, but my shelves are disorderly. I'm sorry that aphid eating wasn't a good fit for you, Babbage tried to do good but these things can go awry. I think you would have suited the uniform though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lisa, I tried, tried hard to fit in but felt, I dunno, different. I was sent to a prosthetist who fitted me with artificial elytra. I still couldn't fly but excelled in physical education fencing class by taping a flyswatter to my foil.

      Delete
  2. Nice piece. I fear I do not understand it, but nice piece Geo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! I don't understand it either, but it reflects a time when understanding took a back seat to staying alive. I wish my memory was good enough to recall how those years turned out.

      Delete
  3. A good many school counsellors of the day should have been stepped on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Delores, the protective red tape they generated back then certainly qualifies your opinion --and mine. But there was one counselor at Sacramento City College who was always available and always helpful. When I left town, I always wished I'd taken Richard Beymer with me.

      Delete
  4. I had to lock up on 'aphid.' Didn't know this word.
    Great text!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana. When I was little(1950s), my grandmother used to spray soapy water on her beloved roses where e pulgões were at work-- but never the joaninhas.

      Delete
  5. I once lived in a house that yearly had ladybug invasions, vast numbers of them on the walls, ceilings and underfoot. I now know, thanks to you, it was simply freshman orientation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree, Mike. But those little gals follow the food, so there must have been aphids somewhere. I'm glad you branched off into medicine. Those Ladybugs are prophetic counselors.

      Delete
  6. Now you have me scared. I understood this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emma, it gave me the jumps too. Lesson learned: I will never eat holes in roses.

      Delete
  7. My lovely and beloved Lana used to sign her grade school art with a Ladybug.
    I have been partial to them since meeting her. And I've always thought the VW auto looked more like a Ladybug than a Beetle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, your dear wife (and wise gardener), Lana had an understanding of the true heroics of Ladybugs. I have owned 2 VW sedans --'61 and later, a'67-- saw the same similarities as you, but switched to a van in the '70s. More useful --in nature, beetles are useful but vans...there are no vans. Still have my van.

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen a "real" ladybug in years. We have the Asian invaders here, unfortunately - they are mostly orange. But I remember regular ladybugs from my childhood.

    "...the school computer, a recently upgraded Babbage Engine designed for weaving 19th century textiles but could sometimes calculate polynomials during lightning storms" - HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the Asian Beetles that imitate Ladybugs: I have heard of them. "House Beautiful" claims they are identifiable by "yellowish, foul-smelling secretions they leave when smashed" --a description that includes several of my relatives. I recommend non-alcoholic refreshments.

      Delete
  9. What a circuitous trail your mind travels, Geo. But better a ladybug than a dung beetle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Coprophagy was not my top choice of major.

      Delete
  10. Don't worry. I'm sure you didn't step on the counselor. He just "flew away home." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, thanks. What a load off my mind; always loved that rhyme --except the fire part-- and prefer your theory to mine.

      Delete
  11. This post made me laugh, because when I first started reading your blog, I got it into my head that you were an English professor at one of the universities in California. I even asked you if you had ever run into my beloved English professor John Brugaletta (Cal State Fullerton). I did much better with rocks than philosophers, Geo! All I remember in my yearlong course in philosophy was reading Plato's "Republic" in one all nighter lying in my mother and Aunt Louise's childhood bed at my Grandmother's. I don't recommend doing that. Somehow I eked out a B. I like to think in terms of things I can see, taste, smell, hear, and touch. Descartes stuck in my head though because of his Cartesian coordinate system. I get that everything we perceive is an illusion, but i'm much more comfortable thinking of my hands as hands rather than a lot of swirling atoms and molecules and mostly empty space somehow hanging together enough so I can type a comment to you. I bought a bunch of praying mantises decades ago to eat the aphids that were eating up my garden. I set them free with high hopes, but a huge hail storm wiped them and my garden out. Hail, grasshoppers, heavy clay soil, southwestern exposure on the side of a hill ~ that garden broke me after five or six years. Now I just go to others' gardens and farmers markets. I love ladybugs, and I have a beautiful bookmark with ladybugs on it ~ carefully drawn by a third grade girl for me many years ago. Great Norma photo as always. Have a good one, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, I absolutely love your comment. I know Fullerton is not easy to get into; you must've done really well in high school. I emerged from a ranching town, where Ronald Reagan would ride a horse, leading the yearly Western Festival, and my summer jobs involved crops --also a working knowledge of Spanish. I've never had a philosophy class --that would risk putting Descartes before the horse. It was a strange time, turbulent, hard on us hicks and everybody. I began reading philosophy, Stumpf's "Socrates To Sartre" --McGraw-Hill, 1966-- in hopes I could find the world less baffling after all. Still reading; results pending. But I love ladybugs too! All best wishes to you.

      Delete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.