All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Friday, August 9, 2019

Conundrum Of The Concrete Cat

There is, nearly invisible in our south stumpery, an abiding enigma --the Concrete Cat:
Concrete Cat came from Norma's parents' property, which she and her younger brother have been clearing and tidying. They found it under some ground-cover vegetation but don't remember having seen it before. Norma brought it here. I tried to help determine its origin but could only quote Shakespeare:
   "Lady, you bereft me of all words, only my
     blood speaks to you in my veins, and there
     is confusion in my powers." (Merchant of
     Venice; act 3, scene2).

Still, I cast my mind back over a half century, back when her family accepted me as suitor for their daughter and made me welcome. I  was often invited for meals (I shared an apartment with 3 hungry men and could not rely on our larder). I would have a beer with her father over a game of chess, and later climb the backyard tree with Norma and...nevermind, then play ping pong on an outdoor table with everybody. 

I am familiar with her dad's sculptural caricatures --animals with bulbous bodies, pebbles and marbles for eyes and collars-- and strongly suspect this is his work alone. He taught his kids how to make decorative stepping stones by this method, but those were larger, more substantial. Norma's had pebble peace symbols in them. I am proud to have both in my garden.

20 comments:

  1. Cats, concrete or not, are ALWAYS a conundrum. They like it that way. I am quite confident that the cat of concrete is happy sharing your garden with you, with Norma, and with other works of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,EC. When I look at Concrete cat and note the fun and sturdiness of its construction, I remember my friend and father-in-law. That's surely an effect of true art.

      Delete
  2. It is the simplest items that can bring back treasured memories. I am sure that Norma’s dad would love that his work now decorates your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was not an effusive man, Arleen but full of humor. His laughter was nearly silent --I hear that when I see his artwork, and I miss him.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet discovery! I agree; often it's insignificant, inanimate things we hold most precious. Private smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind Mevely, when those inanimate things contain the work of someone dear, they bring life to memories and feelings. We prize them as effects of honorable lives.

      Delete
  4. That was a valuable talent to pass along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Emma, and Norma has pursued her talents as a result, as have our children and their children. Her father cannot be excluded from the process.

      Delete
  5. An enjoyable mystery and discovery. And a nice launchpad for memories too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, when this active man was bedfast in his first and final illness, I was privileged to visit and thank him for all the skills he'd given me. He said, "I gave you my daughter." I thanked him for my happiness too.

      Delete
  6. Concrete Cat is wonderfully realistic in his pose. I am welling up here thinking of your wife and her brother unearthing this whimsical critter and reading about your memories of your father-in-law. It's good to remember our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 0_Jenny, it IS good. They abide in our memories and visit dreams. I still learn from them.

      Delete
  7. Cats are mysterious creatures...even concrete ones. The mind of an artist..also a mystery. Combine the two and you do indeed have a conundrum. ...and something lovely for your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Delores. Some conundrums are not meant to be solved, only loved and appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Lovely memories of a most generous man, Geo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best and wisest men I've ever known.

      Delete
  9. What a unique and charming piece of art - I'm glad you know who created it...and that it has a loving home in your yard. A wonderful story, Geo!

    I'm late with reading blogs (and everything else).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. It was a delightful find --from a delightful craftsman. I've been a bit tardy too, re-reading Jack Finney's excellent book, "Time And Again", which I shelved 40 years ago and always meant to read again. From your excellent summer reading list posted a few days back, I figure you understand.

      Delete
  10. Amazing discovery and connection to 1/2 century (I know, it is our generation as well). Discoveries are always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a pleasant surprise, Susan. The piece is 2 inches thick and decorated only on one side, so it was doubtless a useful stepping stone --as well as a delightful discovery.

      Delete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.