All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Friday, August 16, 2013

A Theatre Without A Ghost




Prokofiev,"Dance of the Montagues and Capulets"

"This is it," I said, pulling the car to the curb.

"Ok, thanks. I'll be an hour or two. Bye!"

I had no reservations about the theater itself. Some restoration was evident from the street. New paint, aluminum scaffolding up to the eaves, some major work doubtless underway inside. Poppy entered and I drove off on errands.  An hour later, I returned, waited a little while, then locked the car and entered the building. I could hear Poppy's voice and followed it down a darkened lobby, slipped through a door to a back row and sat unnoticed. The script recited was somewhat archaic --period piece, I supposed-- and then silence.

I stood up and walked into the light. Poppy saw me.

"Everybody," she said. "This is my Uncle Geo."

I smiled, a bit nervously, and waved. I asked, "Are we done here?"

She gave an interrogative glance around the stage and said, "Yes."

Back in the car, I said,"Ok, so tell me about it."

"Well", she said. "It was interesting. There were a bunch of people there putting together a hybridization of two plays, Hamlet and Romeo And Juliet. "

"Who came up with that?"

"Two of the guys on that stage, Bill and Fletch.

"Fletch for Fletcher? John Fletcher by any chance?"

"You've heard of him?"

"Not for a while, quite a well-known name at one time, but go on, please."

"They thought it would be a good idea, more modern, to have Hamlet leave Elsinore for Italy instead of England. Then, instead of returning to Denmark and dying, have him fall in love with Juliet in Verona. He would've been clever enough to fool  Capulets into, uh, capitulating --by calling it part of their namesake heritage-- and Montagues into montigulating, which nobody knows what it is. Both families were keen on legacies of all sorts. Besides, he was way sexier than Romeo."

"And what of Romeo?"

"Bill thought Romeo's high school could have a foreign exchange program so Italian kids could learn herring fishing. This would get him to Elsinore to meet Ophelia and they could just hide in corners together and quiver instead of killing themselves and living happily ever after --I mean..."

"No, I get it, an ambitious project! Who else did you meet on that stage?"

"Ummmm. There was an old guy, Paul or 'Polo-oops!' they sometimes called him. Nice lady named Gert. Ty, guy with a temper. 'Nother guy, Merc? Who'd name their kid after an old car? Anyway, 50 people maybe. They decided I was too assertive for Ophelia and too short for Juliet, balconies being lower than they once were. So I asked if I could be the ghost, unless maybe they already had one cast. Every theater is supposed to have a ghost, y'know."

"What did they say to that?"

"Well, Bill says,'My dear, I do fear neither phantom-trod battlements nor pointed merlons of yore are  standing any more, nor would you, young soul, like getting paved in paint for such a role. And A GHOST? None would fear A ghost in this jaded age. Besides, not every  theatre hath but A GHOST!' That's when you came to collect me, Uncle."

We pulled up to Poppy's place and she hopped out. As always, I waited until she was safely through the front door before I drove away. Indeed, back from a theater without a ghost, A ghost --certainly a singular experience. What I refrained from telling her was, while I sat watching the audition and came forward to call her home, Poppy was, on that brightly lit stage, quite alone.

14 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I had been thinking that of course every theatre must have a ghost. Or ten. Thank you for fostering my preconceptions.
    And I love your avuncular cardiac chamber.
    If we are combining plays, I have a yen to see the Merchant of Venice - with Othello...

    ReplyDelete
  2. E.C.: Yikes, I fear more than a pound of flesh would fly in that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your blog posts were ever anything short of brilliant, I'd be disappointed. You haven't disappointed me yet.

    What a fantasticly creative union
    (menage a trois??) bewteen Hamlet, Juliet, and Romeo.

    Since my mind is usually tired and/or out-of-order, I hardly have a ghost of a change of writing a brilliant comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon--What a wonderful compliment to somebody as uncertain as I am with storytelling. Thank You. And I much prefer "ghost of a change" over ghost of a chance --it's way more hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one would love to see this combined version of Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet come to fruition. It's definitely an original idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've left me thinking it is time I reread some Shakespeare although it won't be as interesting without your 'adjustments'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your story! Great cast of characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post, dude. I'd like to visit that theater to see what other plays they might like to combine into one. Or perhaps you could tell us of the brilliant pairings in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for reading my story. I don't try to write them very often because it's hard. But I wanted to get Polonius, Tybalt, Mercutio, Queen Gertrude, Shakespeare and John Fletcher on one stage --and I never know when Poppy will drop in from her time-travels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No ghost?
    "who may tell the tale
    of the old man?
    weigh absence in a scale?
    meet want with a span?" (Beckett)
    Oh, I love Poppy - realistic, maybe, and yet open to the enchantment of theatre (if I got it all right). 'Waiting for (the) G." might be the title of the next play - mixed with "(the) host" (see imdb)- then there it will be: a G.h.o.s.t.
    (Our son had an almost complete collection of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRqR56aCKc )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending good vibes and wishes to Poppy: may she forever grow brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear. A ghost story! That was awesome!

    It wasn't until I reread it that I caught on to who Bill and Fletch were, LOL... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Horrors. Hamlet and the lovers of Verona?

    But why not? Nobody is ever going to see it as anything other than a weird experiment.

    Poppy sounds delightful and your way of telling the story is too. In fact, why can’t you adapt the Bard? I bet you’d come p with something credible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, the ghosts! :) What a delicious idea, the melding of the two. Inspiration, that is.

    And now I'm in love with the name Poppy....

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.