All aboard. People I very much appreciate:

Monday, May 14, 2012

1st Half Of 10 Things



One of my favorite writers, Susan Flett Swiderski, has invited me via the symbol above to share 10 personal things. I accepted without thinking what I might share, but accepted, so there it is. More I thought about it, the more "weary, flat, stale and unprofitable" I became to myself and more determined not to inflict these echoes of Hamlet's soliloquy upon others. But the solution was obvious(or should be to any guy): stop thinking; do it two installments. So here is a list derived not from thought but from a succession of irritable mental gestures --much like some presidential administrations.

1. It has been well-established that I like westerns. Less established is whether or not I like theme-music to westerns. That is because most scores go "duh-whoop-a-doopity-clippity-clop and are not very likable. Or they are products of multiple orchestras reved to full tilt and volume promising impossible widescreen vistas including Texas, Arizona, Wyoming and Pluto in every range war.

2. Theme music I DO like must contain two elements, excitement and kindness. These are the essential qualities of heroic action. No opening theme ever did it better than this:
You can hear kindness, excitement and gentle humor in every note.

3. I like Amazons. Even though Amazons of myth were considered very dangerous, I believe they had their reasons. Their empire was regularly invaded by armies of men who dashed through and left all the toilet seats up. There were Greek love stories about Amazons, Heracles and Theseus, but there's also historical reference to Amazons helping Trojans in their war against Greece. So I don't know if they were entirely mythical.

4. I do know television brought Amazons into the heroic archetype of humor and kindness with the show, Wonder Woman, starring Lynda Carter: Despite being formidable, well-armed and more athletic than the badguys, Lynda Carter has one of the kindest faces I've ever seen.

5. A nation of one gender, even a mythical one, suggests need for an enlightened definition of marriage. I have been to weddings. Almost invariably, they begin with an officiator who says marriage is an institution of divine appointment, is commended as honorable and is very very serious stuff, then asks, "Do you solemnly swear that you accept this person as etc." Then the other person is charged to "solemnly swear" in return. What this builds up into is well-dressed, nervous but otherwise lovely people in front of everybody solemnly swearing at each other. So I'm at least with the president in support of more gaiety at these functions. I think true love, in all its forms, is a force we deny at our collective peril.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the award...gosh, I remember that Wonder Woman show...it was REALLY bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. It was bad. Can't imagine why I watched it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your five revelations and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.
    Lynda Carter definitely has a kind face. I liked Xena, Princess Warrior even though she was more intimidating....

    I'm at the point where I can hardly remember 10 things about myself. And the things that I DO remember aren't ones that I'd want to share (smile inserted here).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your irritable mental gestures release some interesting gasses into the atmosphere.

    I think I've mostly tried to block out early memories of WW, but you're right, she does have a kind face. Not very threatening.

    Leaving the toilet seat up... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jon. You and CarrieBoo inspired me to double-flush today and finish this decablogue entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, aren't you smart? Splitting this up into two posts was a terrific idea. (Wish I'd thought of it!) Talking about smart, you were, of course, right about the original host of To Tell the Truth being Bud Collyer. (although Bill Cullen guest posted a bunch of times)

    Oh, and I'm sure it was Lynda Carter's FACE your were looking at ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, Annie B., my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Stats are just numbers and don't really represent you. I need to read what you think and thank you.